Did You Know Your Plumbing System Could Use a Tune-Up Too?
Just like your vehicle, you can often avoid a plumbing disaster by carrying out preventative maintenance periodically; it will save you time and money over the longer term.
Pay Attention to the Drains
Drains can become clogged quite easily due to build up of grease, hair and other debris. In this case, a little prevention goes a long way! There are products designed to stop drain clogs or you can go the natural route, slowly pour boiling, soapy water down the drain to help clean the pipes. As far as hair goes, use a simple screen or drain cover to prevent it from getting into the drain in the first place.
What Your Plumber Will Look For
Having your plumber come out each spring to check on your system and perform a routine maintenance check will save you money in the long run. Here are some of the things your plumber will look for. Once you know what to look for you can keep an eye out as well and know exactly when you should call a professional.
- Check for exposed pipes and signs of leaks.
- Look for corrosion which can cause leaks if not dealt with early. A typical sign of corrosion is a discoloration of the pipes.
- Test the water pressure. Low water pressure may indicate a build up of sediment in the faucet or showerhead or even a problem with the water line.
- Check for sediment in the faucets and shower heads.
- Test drainage in the sinks, showers and tubs. Slow draining usually means there is a clog or backup in the pipe. Bubbles and gurgling while water drains from the sink is a sign that there’s a bigger issue at hand.
- Check the toilet and its flushing mechanisms. If the toilet does not flush properly or continuously runs, you could be wasting money and you are definitely wasting water.
- Check for loose tiles around water pipes, sinks and in the shower. Loose tiles could indicate a leak or that the wall is rotting underneath.
- Double-check all caulking around the tub, sink and toilet.
- Inspect the water heater’s burner chamber for corrosion, rust and leaks.
- Make sure there are no cracks or leaks in the washing machine hoses.
With over 20 years of service experience, Drain Express Inc has helped thousands of homeowners in the Chapel Hill area with their plumbing needs. Our team of plumbing technicians can accurately diagnose your routine plumbing problems. Plumbing emergencies are our specialty!.